(UK) – Factorylux’s Bletchley Park glass lamp shade was installed in Alan Turing’s office at Bletchley Park, the World War 2 home of British code-breaking.
The lamp was specially made for the restoration of Bletchley Park and is an exact reproduction of an original shade installed at Bletchley in the 1930s. Bletchley Park is being transformed into a world-class heritage centre to tell the stories of WW2 code-breaking and the creation of ‘Colossus’, the world’s first semi-programmable computer.
The 1930’s glass lampshade has been reverse engineered in collaboration with James Wadsworth, the lighting designer responsible for bringing the lighting for the Bletchley Park restoration to life. Factorylux co-founder Sophie Gollop said: “We collaborate with designers and new ideas wherever we can. When James approached us we jumped at the chance.” The shade is manufactured entirely in the UK and will be sold under the Factorylux brand from mid-April 2016 exclusively through Urban Cottage Industries.
The glass lamp shade will be configurable with a range of fittings – ceiling roses, cable and lamp holders. It will also be available as a complete Bletchley Park pendant light with the same fittings used at Bletchley and also as a shade-only option to fit an existing pendant.
The Bletchley Lamp Shade is the first glass lamp shade offered by Factorylux. The shade is 175mm high and 230mm wide at the base. The hole in the neck of the shade is 40mm to fit a standard screw lamp holder. The pendant is true to the original specification with dark brown twisted fabric cable and bronze lamp holder and ceiling rose. Customers can choose between an authentic traditional filament bulb or the energy efficient alternatives developed by Factorylux.