Ingo Maurer enters the Foscarini hub of creativity

(Monaco) – Foscarini strengthens its distinctive role in the decorative lighting design sector on a global level through the acquisition of Ingo Maurer with the objective of valorising the uniqueness of the German brand’s aesthetic language and guaranteeing its future development consistent with its prestigious historic identity.

The deal involves the acquisition of 90% of Ingo Maurer shares by Foscarini, with the remaining 10% to stay with Sarah Utermöhlen, daughter of the historic German designer.

Founded in 1966 by the designer Ingo Maurer, Ingo Maurer the company is a brand that skilfully creates and produces lamps, spectacularly unique designs, and lighting systems. Ingo Mauer is known for pieces that combine the ordinary with the extraordinary, provoking and entertaining at the same time through a fascinating tension between technique and expressiveness. All its products are designed and made using original craft processes at the headquarters in Munich by the Ingo Maurer team, and then distributed throughout the world.

With its solid global position, Foscarini intends to support its growth and development by further strengthening its ability to express a multifaceted and distinctive vision in the world of decorative lighting design.

“Foscarini stands on the market as a global hub of creativity in the decorative lighting design sector, the sum of various creative freedoms that are reflected in extremely expressive proposals with a strong personality”, says Carlo Urbinati, President and Founder of Foscarini. “With this step, we have decided to invest in the uniqueness of the Ingo Maurer name, a brand that for us has always been a source of great inspiration and that we have always admired for its free vision and creative approach. We have had the opportunity to guarantee ourselves the honour and burden of playing a part in ensuring that the story of Ingo Maurer continues to be talked about around the world and support its further development on global markets – thanks to our solid and widespread commercial network, which includes more than 2,500 retailers all over the world – with the specific intention of preserving its traditions, values, and distinctive expressiveness”.

“After carefully evaluating all the options, my sister Claude Mauer and I have decided that inclusion within the Foscarini creativity hub is the best strategy to enable Ingo Maurer to continue to strengthen its path of growth on a national and international level at the same time as conserving its founding traditions and values”, adds Sarah Utermöhlen, who will keep a quota equal to 10% of the company.”Freedom, passion, charisma, and poetry are the values of the Foscarini brand, which could not be a better fit for Ingo Maurer. We are convinced Foscarini is the right company to give further impetus and development to the artistic world of Ingo. Thanks to Carlo Urbinati and his team, this step will be distinctive for its fusion of artistic ideas where Ingo’s unique light design will find further inspiration and be able to bring its point of view to a growing number of markets”.

In this operation, Foscarini was supported both in Italy and in Germany by the professional firm Andersen, as a legal and financial advisor. 

www.foscarini.com

www.ingo-maurer.com